Thursday, October 29, 2009

X.Cygwin xserver Setup

I had a tough time running xserver on windows , sometime back I used Exceed but I could not use it longer since it is a trial version.
Running VNC was not an option in my environment.

I switched from Exceed to XMing , I ran into many problems. Performance was one key area.
DBCA has some problems with the XServers , after the Finish Button is clicked at the end of the setup , the Database Configuration Assistance pops up. This was not possible for me in XMing.

I contacted a linux expert to understand the problem with XMing and he suggested that there may be some missing fonts. Even that did not help.

Later I switched to Cygwin

It seems to be stable as of now , DBCA works fine.

Here is what you have to do if you need Cygwin.

Download it and complete the setup.
Start a cygwin prompt
Run /usr/X11R6/bin/startxwin.bat
XServer pops out.
Open Putty and use X11 forwarding and connect to the server
Invoke xclock and it should be working.

I hope this helps.

Popular Posts